How to take care of Muscle Pain and Soreness with Ayurveda?
We all have experienced muscle pain or sore muscles in our everyday lives. It can happen when we are playing with our kids, walking our dogs, when while taking the stairs or trying to walk that extra mile.
Then there are our parents and grandparents who experience it quite often due to their weak muscles. Young or old, muscle pain can trouble us for a few days or can stay for a longer period of time and bring our daily activities to a halt.
Muscle pains/ Muscle aches/ Muscle sprains or pulled muscles can occur due to overexertion of the muscles and requires a holistic approach to manage the soreness and pain.
The various causes of muscle pain include
- Degeneration or wearing out of muscles
- Nutritional deficiencies
Ayurvedic Perspective on Muscle Pain and Muscle Soreness
According to Ayurveda,muscle cramps or pains are known as “Mamsa GataVata”, which means “aggravated Vata dosha”, in the “mamsa” or muscles.
Another reason can be the accumulation of toxins (Ama) in the body. Toxins can get accumulated due to bad digestion. In Ayurveda, it is said that if your digestive fire or Agni is in imbalance, then it causes an increase in the toxin level of the body. These toxins can cause muscle weakness, muscle pain, muscle soreness and cramps.
Ayurveda recommends the use of a multi-pronged and holistic approach to help keep joints and muscles healthy.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Muscle Pain, Soreness and Cramps
- It is suggested to take herbal supplements for balancing aggravated Vata and reducing toxins and inflammation in the body.
- Ayurvedic herbal oils are recommended for massaging painful muscles and joints.
- There are various Panchkarma Therapies that focus on the painful areas in the body and helps eliminate Ama from the tissues. Some therapies that you can try are Raktamokshana, Basti, Vamana, Virechana, and Nasyam. Panchkarma is very useful in getting relief from muscle pains and soreness.
- Ayurveda lays important emphasis on Diet (Ahar) to balance the aggravate Vata dosha and reduce any form of nutritional deficiencies that might cause weaker muscle and can make them prone to injuries. To balance Vata Dosha, it is recommended to take sour, salty, and sweet food items. Food items that can increase acidity should be avoided and calcium-rich food items are recommended. In addition to this,add some powerful spices such as Cumin, Ginger & Turmeric to your diet. Ayurveda also suggests you avoid certain food items such as refined cereal, rice, curd, sugar, potato and sour food items to reduce muscle pain.
- Being active increases blood circulation and mobility in the muscles and joints. Any form of exercise and Yoga asanas are recommended to keep your muscles healthy in a long run. A regular exercise regime can help treat muscle pain. You can try yoga poses such aslotus pose, boat pose, cobra pose etc. to get relief from muscle pain.
- Ayurveda suggests undergoing the process of Abhyanga. It is a warm oil massage that is followed by a warm bath. This therapy is immensely therapeutic, rejuvenating & is great for painful sore muscles. People often experience relief from muscle pain after a single session.
- One of the easiest tips that you can use whenever you experience muscle pain is to apply ice cubes. This can sometimes provide you instant relief.
Best ayurvedic medicine for Muscle Pain and Muscle Strain
There is a complete therapy for the treatment of muscle pain that can be used to eliminate the root cause and strengthen the painful and weak tissues from within. It should be noted that maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle is equally important for healthy muscles and joints.
Pain Relief Therapy has Pirant oil, Pirant Tablets, Prandhara oil and Patra Potli. This therapy involves the massage of sore and painful muscles with herbal oil and herbal compress. The Potli provides heat and allows to push the herbal oils deep into the tissues. Pain Relief Therapy is also the best solution for muscle knots. It helps relax the muscles and ease pain and stiffness.
All the formulations in Pain Relief Therapy are made from time-tested herbs and ingredients such asGarlic, Sunthi, Guggul, Ashwagandha, Pippal, Rasna Leaves, Camphor Powder etc. These ingredients are Vata pacifying and help in reducing Ama in the body. This therapy helps in reducing pain, swelling and inflammation in the affected muscles and joints. Pirant oil is the bestayurvedic oil for muscle stiffness, pain and muscle strain. When applied with Prandhara oil, it can prove to be one of the best ayurvedic oil combinations for treating muscle pain.
Frequently Asked Question
Q. Which is the best Ayurvedic medicine for muscle pain and body pain?
A. One of the best medicine or therapy for muscle pain isPain Relief Therapy. It has Pirant Tablets that reduces pain, inflammation and soreness by pacifying the aggravated Vata dosha in the body.
Q. Which Dosha causes muscle pain?
A. Muscle pain is caused by aggravated Vata dosha and the accumulation of toxins in the body that causes them to become weaker and make them prone to injury.
Q. What is the best ayurvedic treatment for muscle pain in the legs?
A. Our leg muscles can experience this whenever they are overexerted. You can experience pain and cramps in your legs. One of the best ayurvedic treatments for muscle pain in the legs isPain Relief Therapy. Massaging your legs with Pirant oil and Patra Potli can relieve you from leg pain and cramps. It is one of the bestMuscle pain relief kits that is based on the principles of Ayurveda.