4 cups white radish, grated
2 Tbs safflower oil
1 & 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 & 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 pinch hing
1 small green chili, chopped
1 tsp salt
Wash the radish and grate medium-fine. Rinse the grated radish twice.
Heat a frying pan on medium flame and add the oil followed by mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, turmeric, chili, and salt.
Stir until the seeds pop. Now add the radish and mix well.
Cover and cook on medium-low heat until tender, about 12 minutes.
Qualities of Radish
Radish is pungent and heating with a pungent vipak can help in proper digestion. Radish Subji is good for constipation, hemorrhoids and heart conditions. Radish has a diuretic action and is useful for kidney stone. At the change of seasons from winter to spring, it can be helpful to get kapha moving without increasing pitta too much.
Health benefits of Radish
- Radishes are rich in vitamins, folic acid, anthocyanins and are considered effective cancer-fighting agents.
- The presence of vitamin in radishes can treat skin disorders and they also help improve the functioning of liver and gall bladder.
- Radishes are rich in dietary fiber content and help improve the body’s ability to digest food.
- The presence of an antioxidant in radish protects the body against free radicals and cell damage.
- Radish contains iron in abundance, it maintains healthy cells, skin, hair and nails.
- Consumption of radish boosts the metabolism process in the body.
- Radishes are a very rich source of proteins and help in building blocks of muscles in your body.
- Radishes reduce the absorption of cholesterol and thereby prevent cardio diseases.
- Radishes, with their high potassium content are a home cure for hypertension.
- Radish is a natural laxative that efficiently detoxifies the body by eliminating the waste products.
Health benefits of Safflower Oil
- Safflower oil is rich source of unsaturated fatty acids that are essential for hormone regulation and memory.
- The unsaturated fats present improve a person’s blood glucose control.
- It contains vitamin E, which protects the skin from the effects of sunlight and from free radicals.
- The unsaturated fats in safflower oil can thin the blood and make platelets less sticky.
Health benefits of Black Mustard Seeds
- It gives relief from respiratory disorders
- Aids in managing diabetes and cholesterol levels
- Promotes clearer complexion and cures acne
- Mustard seeds help in curing pains and spasms
Health benefits of Cumin Seeds
- Cumin aids digestion by increasing the activity of digestive proteins.
- Cumin is very dense in iron and contains 1.4 mg of iron or 17.5% of the RDI for adults.
- Cumin contains antioxidants that stabilize free radicals.
- Cumin’s traditional use as a seasoning may restrict the growth of infectious bacteria and fungi.
Health benefits of Turmeric
- Turmeric contains powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- It neutralizes free radicals but also stimulates your body’s antioxidant enzymes.
- Curcumin increases the growth of new neurons and fights degenerative process in your brain.
Health benefits of Hing
- Reduces Bloating, flatulence, gas and irritable bowel syndrome
- Helps relieve Asthma
- Helps lower Blood pressure
- Treats Headaches Naturally