Almost everyone loves to relish a scoop of cow ghee melted over the top of Kichari or layer Roti with it. But this delicious taste is not the only reason why cow ghee is a must-have food item in every Indian kitchen. This golden nectar is an excellent carrier of nutrients and thus, deeply nourishes and lubricates all the Sapta dhatus (seven tissues) of our body. Ghrita or ghee has sweet and cooling properties and when taken in appropriate qualities, it is known to improve memory(smriti), stroke digestive fire (Agni), bolster immunity, and supports overall health.
The beneficial properties of this golden liquid are further enhanced when herbs are added to it. Ayurveda practitioners also consider ghee a wonderful catalyst or Anupana and use it to formulate custom medicated ghees with the intention of driving the healing qualities of potent herbs deeper into the seven tissues. In this post, we'll demystify medicated ghees, learn how the best Ghrits are prepared, and cover the most important ones, with their wide array of health benefits.
Herbal ghee is one of the loveliest components of Ayurvedic Health. This formulation is a traditional Ayurvedic preparation made from milk obtained from grass-fed cows and therapeutic herbs. In Ayurveda, one of the strongest methods to utilize the full potential of potent herbs like Brahmi and Ashwagandha is taking medicated ghees.
How An Authentic Medicated Ghee Is Prepared
∙ Ayurvedic herb is soaked for a minimum of 24 hours in water. The fresh ghee is then added to a kadhai and cooked at a low temperature, usually under 100 degrees. The herb is then added to this ghee during this cooking process which brings flavor and enhances the medicinal value of ghee.
∙ In the next step, a decoction is prepared using the roots of the herb. The roots are boiled in water under 100 ̊C for a good length of time so that only extracts are obtained. This extract is then filtered out to get a decoction which is mixed with Ayurvedic ghee prepared earlier.
∙ A powder of Ayurvedic herbs is prepared, which is then kept immersed in water for at least 24 hours and then mixed with this ghee. The ghee is then gently cooked under 100 ̊ C and cooled down. The resulting Ghrita is nutrient rich, Ayurvedic ghee, which offers you a great way to incorporate daily ghee and herb intake into your diet and that’s going to be the most nourishing to your tissues.
Health Benefits of Medicated Ghees
Some examples of herbs that can be used in medicated ghee include Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Triphala, Turmeric, and Shatavari. Here are some of the best Ayurvedic Ghees that you’d like to incorporate into your health regimen.
Improve Brain Function with Brahmi Ghee
Brahmi Ghrita is a special ghee preparation with umpteen health benefits. This Ghrita is enriched with powerful antioxidants and essential nutrients that enhance the power of remembrance, retention, and acquisition. The Brahmi Ghee benefits include
- Memory-enhancing properties that stimulate brain development in kids, and positively impact their central nervous system.
- Vata balancing property which may help in reducing the symptoms of anxiety.
- Medhya (intelligence-improving) and Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties enhance cognition, learning, and intellect abilities over time. It also improves memory and concentration.
- Balya (strength provider) property which helps combat fatigue or general weakness.
- The anti-stress and anti-depressive properties are extremely useful in treating different types of problems like restlessness, depression, and dementia.
Promote Inner Calm with Ashwagandha Ghrita
Ashwagandha Ghrita is a wonderful combination of cow ghee, and Ashwagandha, a time-test herb that has been used traditionally to enhance vitality and strength. These are some of the health benefits you get when you consume Ashwagandha ghee.
- Helps you manage stress and anxiety. Intake of this Ghee formulation helps reduce the levels of cortisol, a type of stress hormone, thereby promoting bringing calmness and relaxation.
- Enhances brain function. The beneficial properties of this ghee help improve the cognitive function of individuals. It is known to enhance memory and concentration.
- Boosts immune health. Consuming ashwagandha ghee may help improve overall immune function, thereby helping you ward off several diseases.
- Consuming ashwagandha ghee may also support vigour, and joint, hair, and skin health.
Improve Your Eye Health with Triphala Ghrita
This Ayurvedic ghee preparation combines the goodness of cow ghee and Tripahala, two powerful Ayurvedic Rasayanas. Triphala is a synergistic blend of Amla (Indian Gooseberry), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), and Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), all potent herbs with their own therapeutic benefits. This formulation has been traditionally used by Ayurveda to improve digestive health, immunity, and overall well-being. Combined with ghee, it creates a powerful herbal remedy that offers numerous benefits.
- Improves eye health. Ayurveda recommends using Triphala ghee for eyes as it not only improves eye health but also manages issues related to eye health. It helps relieve eye strain, improve vision, and prevent eye infections and dry eye problems.
- Helps protect skin from damage caused by free radicals. It also helps promote a glowing complexion.
- Supports gut health. It balances the aggravated Vata and Pitta, the leading causes of digestion-related problems. This Ghrita not only relieves constipation but also cleanses and supports the entire GI tract. This helps you improve your digestion, elimination, and assimilation of nutrients.
- Helps improve immune function. This helps fight diseases and prevent recurrent seasonal infections.
Medicated ghee is highly revered in Ayurvedic medicine and has been traditionally used for centuries. This Ghrita formulation is a highly nourishing and rejuvenating substance that calms your doshas and supports overall health and well-being. The herbs used in Ayurvedic Ghritas vary depending on their intended use. For instance, Ashwagandha Ghrita nourishes your dhatus(tissues) and reduces stress and anxiety, while Triphala Ghee helps you improve your eye health. These ghees are often prescribed by Vidyas to improve memory, reduce digestive issues, enhance eye health, deal with skin problems, and more. All the medicated ghee can be taken with warm water, and these are generally considered safe and well-tolerated.