How to treat GERD with Ayurveda?
GERD is also known as Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease or Acid Reflux is mainly caused when the valve between the stomach and esophagus becomes weak and stays open for long, which allows the acid in the stomach to flow back into the esophagus. This phenomenon can lead to the liquid content of the stomach to pump back and can result in mucosal damage.
Following are the major symptoms of GERD/Acid Reflux
- Regurgitation or backfire of the consumed food
- Chest pain
- Pain while swallowing food
- Water brash
Generally, it can be said that GERD is a lifestyle disease. If your diet has more Junk food, processed meat, and frozen foods, then the issue of Acid Reflux can happen. These processed and junk foods with added preservatives can create toxins (ama) in the body, which result in the issue of GERD. Your erratic eating habits and timings can also aggravate the situation.
Ayurveda’s take on GERD Treatment
Ayurveda focuses on balancing the doshas- Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. In Ayurveda Acid Reflux or GERD is a result of aggravation or imbalance in the pitta dosha. So, we need to balance the Pitta dosha in the body.
This is the reason; it is recommended to eat foods according to your Prakriti and avoid the foods that are not suited for your body and lifestyle.
Also, Pitta enhancing foods should be avoided. So, here are some of the don’ts that you need to avoid if you have the Problems of Acid Reflux or GERD.
Don’ts to balance Pitta Dosha and get relief from GERD
- If you are facing the issue of belching and acid reflux, then you can try fasting or upvasa from time to time. It is not recommended to overdo it.
- Avoid the consumption of excessive tea, coffee, and carbonated or alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid taking junk food, processed and fermented foods.
- Avoid using garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes, and vinegar in cooking.
- Also avoid oily and rich gravies, sour, salty, and spicy foods.
- Curd should be strictly avoided.
- Take meals in a relaxed atmosphere at regular intervals of time.
- Incorporate any kind of physical activity and exercise.
- Eating meals in small proportions can help you.
- Keep your head elevated with pillows while sleeping
- Excessive stress & worries should be managed
- Using some herbs and spices in your diets such as turmeric, cumin, fennel seeds, coriander, carom seeds, basil leaves and hing (asafetida) can also help.
- Drink ginger or cumin tea once a day.
- Avoid very cold drinks such as iced drinks etc.
- Drinking water immediately after meals should be avoided as it slows down Agni and digestion.
- Snacking throughout the day should be avoided. Eat only when hungry.
- Sipping warm water during a meal will help in digestion and absorption of food
- Avoid taking food items that are contradicting in nature and that against your Prakriti.
You can also read: Live life to the fullest with the Acid Reflux Diet
You can follow these dos and don’ts that are according to Ayurveda principles and can help you a lot.
If you are looking for GERD treatment in Ayurveda, then you can use Amlant, which is an Ayurvedic medicine made from 15 Ayurvedic herbs.
It consists of Mishri and Vaidang that reduce burning, inflammation, and cramps. Herbs like Haritaki, Vibhitaki, Lawang, Pippli, and Sarjika Kshor helps in indigestion. Other ingredients like Sheetal Parpati, Amlaki, and Mulethi work as cooling and relaxant along with Nagar Mustaka that acts as a diuretic.
The formulation is used in the treatment of GERD/acid reflux, hyperacidity, indigestion, flatulence, etc. It also neutralizes gastric acid, tones up the gastric muscles, and prevents reflux oesophagitis.
Here are few of the frequently asked question-
Q. Can Gerd be cured by Ayurveda?
A. Yes, Gerd can be cured by Ayurveda as it aims at balancing the Pitta dosha that is responsible for it. Following Ayurveda prescribed diet that will suit your Prakriti and taking herbs will slowly treat the root cause of GERD.
Q. How do you permanently treat GERD naturally?
A. You can go for Ayurvedic Treatment for GERD as it will give you long term relief from the symptoms. Ayurvedic treatment will focus on changing the diet, eating habits and use of herbs that will provide you long term and more permanent treatment for GERD.
Q. Which treatment is best for GERD?
A.I would suggest you go Ayurvedic Treatment for GERD as it will provide you long term, permanent and natural treatment with minimum side effects.
Comments (4 Responses)
Sir Namaskar, mujhe koe be cheez khane me pareshani hotte ha (dar rehta ha khe wo atak na jayee) is karan me khana bahut kam khata hu. Aur jb be me khana khata hu to mujhe belches (dakar) ane start ho jatte ha…………Subah uthkar jb me pani pitta hu tab be mujhe dakar ate hain……..Khas kar raat me mujhe khane ke baad galee me kucch atkka atkka rehta ha aur dakar ate rehte hain………Meene kucch dinno pehle ENT ko check karwaya unhone bataya ki throat me swelling ha (LPR) laryngopharyngeal reflux ha………………Me ayurvedic ilaz kya karu please bateye sir…..
From last one yr i m suffering from gerd.a lot of medicines tried but after completing the course it returns again.is there permanent cure for gerd in ayurved
Im suffering from acute acidity ie acid reflux. Perhaps GERD .
Leave a comment (all fields required)
Comments will be approved before showing up.
23 March, 2022
My wife is suffering from GERD, Hiatal hernia for last 1.5 years. It’s at peak now and she is unable to eat anything now. Lot of burning she felt near ribcage due to acid reflux. Doctor suggested her for surgery. But we dont want to go with any surgery so looking for your advice.