Nobody can deny the relationship between gut health and overall health. Due to hectic and sedentary lifestyles, many of us face digestive issues. One such issue is Constipation that we all have faced every now and then.
As you must be aware, Constipation is the inability to pass bowel movements regularly.
According to a recent study, nearly 23% of all Indians have faced this problem of constipation. The main reason being the drastic changes in lifestyle with indulgence in junk food and low physical activity. Also, many people complain about constipation more during winters.
People generally use over-the-counter laxatives and chemical drugs that can lead to metabolism disturbances in the body not to forget the negative effects they have on the digestive system with numerous side effects.
Constant episodes of constipation can result in chronic constipation that can deteriorate the overall performance of the digestive system which indirectly affects the entire health of an individual.
There can be many reasons for Constipation. Let’s read in detail about them and how you can address this problem.
Some common causes of constipation are-
A few of the common reasons for constipation are:
- Drinking less water can cause the stool to become tighter thereby leading to constipation.
- Stress can be a major key factor that many people ignore.
- Constipation can occur due to slow contractions that delay the passage of stools. This may be due to stress or a change in your daily routine.
- Consuming a diet that is low in fiber content.
- Leading a sedentary lifestyle and not getting enough activity can disturb body metabolism and leads to constipation.
- Ignoring the need to pass stools can also cause constipation.
- Abrupt changes in your daily routine like having to travel or not getting enough rest can cause constipation.
- Excessive use of medications like pain killers and antacids can sometimes cause constipation. This can occur during pregnancy because of hormonal changes in the female body.
- Certain underlying medical conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Diverticulosis, or any other problem in the colon can also contribute to constipation.
What does Ayurveda say about Constipation?
According to Ayurveda, any irregularities in the body is caused due to imbalance in the Vata, Pitta, and Kapha Doshas in the body. Constipation is the result of Vata Imbalance in the body as Apana Vayu is a type of Vata that regulates downward movement. An Imbalance in the Apana Vayu can affect the colon movement and impact the working of its muscles.
In the Ayurvedic treatment of constipation, it is recommended to use herbal formulations. Since these herbs offer no side effects and are natural, this makes the ayurvedic treatment for constipation much more effective in the long run.
This issue can happen to people of all ages and needs a more natural and holistic approach to solve it.
Tips to address the issue of Constipation
1. Dietary Changes
The most important aspect that needs attention is the diet that you intake. Constipation cannot be improved if you are not changing your diet. As Constipation is caused due to imbalance in Vata, so you need to take a Vata pacifying diet. Consume foods that are warm and freshly cooked. Avoid cold and stale food.
Here are Ayurveda recommended Diet suggestions for you:
- Consume foods rich in dietary fiber such as grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables. Fruits such as apples, bananas, guavas, figs, oranges, carrots, etc. should be consumed.
- Food that has the prakriti of warmth and is freshly cooked should be consumed.
- The use of a few spices like garlic, ginger turmeric, cumin, and asafetida, and carom seeds is recommended.
- It is suggested to use ghee or organic oils while cooking.
- Avoid the intake of junk foods, fried food, processed food, spicy food, and non-vegetarian food must be avoided.
- Sip on warm water throughout the day. Make sure to consume enough water throughout the day. Start your day with a glass of warm water and lemon instead of taking bed tea or coffee.
- You can consume warm soups or dal soups.
- Avoid smoking, drinking, and taking too much caffeine in the form of tea and coffee.
- Avoid overeating and eat at regular intervals of time.
2. Simple DIY remedy
You can consume roasted fennel seeds with warm water work as a laxative. Also, Castor oil acts as a natural laxative. You can take a spoon full of oil before bedtime.
3. Move your Body
You cannot ignore the importance of the physical activity. Having a sedentary lifestyle can really hurt your digestive system. Having an increased activity level can help you immensely. Even going on a walk can help you a lot. You can also practice yoga as many yogasanas can provide relief in indigestion and constipation.
4. Ayurveda Therapy
There is also an Ayurveda Therapy called Abhyanga or massage to treat imbalances in the body. Panchkarma therapy can be used that can provide you relief in constipation.
5. Don’t forget to get your 8 hours
Sound Sleep is very important to treat any disease since sleep rejuvenates the body and heals it. Try to maintain your sleep hours and get stress free sleep.
It is one of the most common herbal formulations used to treat constipation in the most natural way possible. Triphala is an ancient formula made up of fruits Amalaki, Bhibhitaki, and Haritaki. It works as a natural laxative and helps improve bowel movement thereby giving relief in constipation.
This is one of the best formulas for chronic constipation. Dizomap is a highly effective and natural laxative without any side effects. It corrects the imbalance of Samana Vata, Pachak Pitta, and Kledak Kapha doshas. The best aspect is that this is not habit-forming and made from natural herbs.
Here are a few of the Frequently asked questions that are asked:
Q. Which Ayurvedic medicine is best for constipation?
Q. What is the treatment of constipation in Ayurveda?
A. In Ayurveda, we focus on balancing the doshas in your body mainly the Vata dosha. Ayurvedic treatment involves the use of herbal formulations that can provide relief.
Q. What can I eat to relieve constipation immediately?
A. For immediate results, people go for over the counter laxatives, but I will recommend you to go for Ayurvedic formulations that are natural and have no side effects. These are also not habit-forming.