3 cups fresh cilantro
1 cup water
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 small green chilli, chopped
A fresh piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon ghee
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 pinch of hing
4 curry leaves, fresh or dried
1/2 fresh lime
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash the cilantro leaves and remove the stems. Put it in a blender along with the water, coconut, chilli, and ginger.
- Blend at high speed until well mixed. It may be necessary to stir it down several times.
- Heat a saucepan on medium, add the ghee, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, Hing, and curry leaves. Cook until the seeds pop. Cool and mix well into the cilantro paste.
- Squeeze in the juice of the lime, add the salt, and stir gently.
- Eat a dab with each bite of food.
This recipe is balancing for the tridosha. Pitta might want to decrease the chilli, salt, and mustard seeds even though the cilantro is very cooling. You can refrigerate and store this dish for two to three days and use it.
Health benefits of Cilantro
- Cilantro is a wonderful source of dietary fiber, manganese, iron and magnesium.
- It lowers bad cholesterol and increases the levels of good cholesterol.
- Cilantro promotes liver secretion and lowers the blood sugar levels.
- It is good for diabetes patients as it can stimulate insulin secretion and lower the blood sugar levels.
- Cilantro contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cilantro’s antiseptic properties help to cure mouth ulcer.
- Antioxidants in cilantro prevent eye diseases.
- Cilantro helps to promote the nervous system and stimulates the memory.
- Cilantro contains high amounts of iron, which essential for curing iron-deficiency anemia.
- Vitamin K in it is good for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
Health benefits of Cumin Seeds
- Cumin aids digestion by increasing the activity of digestive proteins.
- Cumin is very dense in iron and contains 1.4 mg of iron or 17.5% of the RDI for adults.
- Cumin contains antioxidants that stabilize free radicals.
- Cumin’s traditional use as a seasoning may restrict the growth of infectious bacteria and fungi.
Health benefits of Black Mustard Seeds
- It gives relief from respiratory disorders
- Aids in managing diabetes and cholesterol levels
- Promotes clearer complexion and cures acne
- Mustard seeds help in curing pains and spasms
Health benefits of ginger
- It is high in gingerol, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Ginger appears to be highly effective against nausea and vomiting.
- It is effective against exercise-induced muscle pain.
- Ginger lowers blood sugar levels and improves heart disease risk factors.
Health benefits of curry leaves
- Curry leaves support bowel movement and stimulates digestive enzymes.
- Relieves morning sickness and nausea.
- It helps in eliminating harmful free radicals from the body.
- Curry leaves are rich in vitamin A and they prevent early onset of cataract.