Organic Coconut-Mint Dal
1½ cups organic mung dal
1 tablespoon organic ghee
2 teaspoons mix spices
2 tablespoons organic coconut flakes
4 cups of water
4 mint leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons organic yogurt
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan on low-medium heat and sauté mix spices; make sure you don't burn the spices-and-ghee mixture.
- Add coconut flakes and sauté them until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the dal and water bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove dal from heat and add mint leaves, yogurt and salt.
Coconut-mint dal is a cherished food in ayurveda. It's delicious, easy to prepare and is balancing to all three doshas (tridoshic). It is even more balancing when cooked with ayurvedic spices. Over and above this, dal is very nourishing and easy to digest. The coconuts add something in addition to flavour, too. Coconuts increase the quantity and quality of all seven tissues and are Vata-pacifying in nature. Also, because of coconuts' unctuous qualities, they cool and strengthen, and Chakara says, "They are filled with sweetness."
Benefits of Coconut
- Coconut is high in dietary fibre and slowdowns the release of glucose and transports it to other cells.
- It improves the insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
- Coconuts have anti-ageing effects on the body.
- The nutrition in coconut boosts immunity.
- Coconut helps to increase energy by burning fat.
Benefits of ghee
- Helps you keep warm from within.
- Ghee contains energy boosting properties.
- Ghee is a source of good fat.
- It is an ideal pick to support the health of the intestinal walls.
- It keeps constipation at bay.
- Ghee is good for lowering bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol.
Benefits of mint
- Mint helps relieve indigestion and also soothes an upset stomach.
- The anti-inflammatory properties relieve the irritation caused by chronic coughing.
- Mint helps cure headaches.
- Mint aids in weight loss.
- Mint may up alertness, retention and cognitive functions.
Benefits of yogurt
- Yogurt contains 300 grams of calcium which is good for bones.
- Yogurt helps burn belly fat.
- Yogurt controls blood pressure.
- Yogurt works on building your immunity.
- Probiotics in yogurt support in strengthening the gut health.
Benefits of mung dal
- Mung dal is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- It contains healthy anti-oxidant which may reduce chronic disease risk.
- It lowers bad cholesterol levels and decreases the risk of heart disease.
- It is rich in potassium and fiber which may reduce blood pressure.
- It contains a variety of nutrients that are great for digestive health.