Health can be measured in numerous ways and is often broken down into a variety of numbers. It usually doesn't provide the best picture of what a truly healthy body and mind look like. While modern-day western medicine has brought many life-saving advancements, one of the downfalls is the often siloed approach to health, which looks at the body in sections of individual symptoms rather than the whole system. This is why holistic wellness is essential because it achieves overall physical, mental, and spiritual health and supports the body as the incredible system it is.
To explain this in more detail, I’ve tried an example here, Satish is convinced that holistic medicines help him stay healthy. Shilpa swears by the healthy practices she follows to maintain her health. But, when they talk, they find that they are doing the same things. Alternative medicine, complementary therapies, holistic medicines, natural healthcare, integrative medicine - these are a few terms used to describe a wide variety of healing practices nowadays. They fall outside the category of modern-day western medication.
Within this article, we will focus on holistic medicines and their effect on holistic wellness.
What is holistic medicine?
Holistic medicine is an alternative form of healing that considers the person as a whole. It affects the body, mind, spirit, and emotions in the quest for optimal health and wellness. According to philosophy, one can achieve optimal health by gaining a proper balance in life. Similarly, in Ayurveda, a Vaidya believes that the whole person is made up of interdependent parts. So, if one part is not working correctly, all the other parts will be affected. In this way, if you have imbalances in your lives, it can negatively affect your overall health.
The principle of holistic medicine
Holistic medicine believes that love and support is the most powerful healer. Also, a person is ultimately responsible for his or her overall well-being. The other principle of holistic medicine is that all people have innate healing powers, and a patient is a person, not a disease. Also, treatment involves fixing the cause of the condition, not just alleviating the symptoms.
Now, let us understand about holistic wellness.
What does holistic wellness mean?
Wellness is the optimum state of health for a person. And holistic wellness is when the physical, mental and spiritual states of a person are perfectly balanced. It is an ongoing journey that will change and can change you. Overall, it is also defined as holistic health, which includes the physical, mental and spiritual well being of an individual.
What is the importance of holistic wellness?
Very often, you are sick and at a loss to define what the problem is. You keep on taking medicines only to treat the symptoms, which doesn't cure your problem completely. So, you need to find the root cause of the problem and get a holistic treatment. Holistic wellness tries to determine the underlying cause of the issues and treat them as a whole. By working holistically, you start feeling better, and secondly, there is less chance for a reoccurrence of the illness.
Now we know about holistic medicine and holistic wellness. Let us understand the equation between them.
How does holistic medicine provide holistic wellness?
The equation is simple. Holistic medicine goes beyond the mind-body connection. It is more of a lifestyle approach that finds and maintains holistic health and wellness. All parts of a person's life, i.e., physical healing, mental health, emotional well-being, and spiritual beliefs are considered. A person can achieve holistic wellness through this approach if he or she learns the importance of tending to relationships, caring for environments, being compassionate, and accepting differences among a diverse population of people.
Understand the benefits of Ayurveda and Holistic Medicine
When you are connected with nature, you are disease-free, balanced, and happy. The best way to bring in balance is to reconnect with nature's rhythms. But, some healthy practices need to be followed.
- In holistic medicine, one of the most critical aspects is routine. You have probably experienced it yourself. When you have a good routine, there somehow is more time in the day. Ayurvedic daily routines can make you feel better immediately. Once you get your regular schedule, you can start implementing some healthy eating habits as well.
- You can also opt for specific ayurvedic remedies or medicines that can heal the body from within.
- And finally, make your life into meditation and be grateful for a new day.
Thus, by incorporating ayurvedic practices to improve your health, you start experiencing the benefits of wellness immediately.
Let's elaborate more on the Daily Ayurvedic Routine.
1) Get up with the sunrise to give the body a chance to harmonize with the rhythms of the sun. Sunrise varies according to the seasons. But, on average Vata people need to get up around 6 AM, Pitta people at 5:30 AM, and Kapha people at 4:30 AM.
2) It is essential to drink a glass of warm water first thing in the morning. This will encourage a regular morning bowel movement.
3) Evacuate the bowels and bladder regularly.
4) Brush your teeth two times a day. After a meal, it is also beneficial.
5) Scrape your tongue daily 5-10 times to stimulate the digestive system and help the removal of toxins.
6) Self-massage the body with oil and leave it for 20 minutes. It will tone your skin and muscles while calming your mind and nervous system.
7) Meditate and practice correct Yoga poses.
8) Have a shower.
9) Eat your breakfast every day. Never skip it.
10) Take a half an hour walk after meals. It stimulates digestion.
11) Eat your lunch (the biggest meal of the day) between 12-1 PM.
12) Eat dinner by 7 PM.
13) Floss at night to prevent gum disease.
14) Go to bed by 10 PM to ensure adequate rest.
15) Throughout the day, drink a good amount of water.
16) Once a week, clean out your nasal passages. This maximizes the absorption of Prana, the life force.
There is an old saying 'Prevention is better than cure.' So, don't wait to get sick. Take ayurvedic medicines that help boost your overall wellness and prevent yourself from getting sick. Maharishi Ayurveda believes in maintaining and guarding your mental bliss and physical balance with the utmost care and sincerity to avoid stress, physical imbalances, and to maintain immunity.
We understand the role of holistic medicine in restoring holistic health. As a result, our well researched and clinically tested product - Amrit Kalash works as a Super Rasayana for healthy and youthful living. Due to the goodness of 53 time-tested natural herbs and minerals, more than 1 lakh bottles are sold every year.
Similar to Amrit Kalash, Maharishi Ayurveda has a range of products that can strengthen your holistic health. If you want to know more about them, click here.
Now is the time to take necessary action and build your overall health. Don’t wait!